Ready to help us change how teams work with email? Palo Alto Software in Eugene, Oregon, is looking for a top-notch engineer to lead our newest product team. This role will provide technical and strategic leadership for the friendly, collaborative, and cross-functional team that is building Outpost, our new SaaS email product for teams.
Welcome to Outpost
Outpost is a collaborative email service that helps teams work together to respond quickly and efficiently to customer emails. Under the hood, it’s a single-page React app that uses Java, Redis, Postgres, ElasticSearch, Dropwizard, Docker, AWS, and other interesting technologies to make email better for teams all over the world. You can read more about Outpost, and even test-drive it as a free trial, at www.outpost.co.
We’ve got a great team of developers and are looking for a leader to help coordinate their efforts and drive the product forward. Our cross-functional team deploys regularly using modern development methodologies, is big on continuous improvement, and loves working together. We have a great company culture with some nice perks and an emphasis on work-life balance.
Here are the sorts of things you would be spending your time on in this role:
Delivering high-quality product releases on time
- coordinating with the product manager, designer, devs, QA lead, and other team members to deliver features and updates regularly
- working with QA to manage and prioritizing bugs
- working with devops to develop systems and tools to monitor, alert, and ensure a timely response to errors in the production environment
- setting a high bar for a quality app and codebase
- driving and coordinating code quality and infrastructure initiatives
- identifying key new technologies to improve our product development process
Managing the development team
- overseeing, coaching, and mentoring the developers (currently six) who are building and maintaining the Outpost application
- making their work experience awesome while growing their skills and providing career guidance
Managing the development process
- owning the development lifecycle and guiding the team to make it better
- fostering a culture of production engagement
- running the daily standup and tracking sprint progress
- doing capacity planning and participating in story selection
- running estimation meetings, technical planning sessions, retrospectives, and other team events
Guiding feature development
- working with the product manager to understand user requirements and to collaborate on good user stories
- coordinating the technical design decision-making process
- collaborating with the product architect and VP of Engineering
- collaborate with the product owner and the QA lead to help the team regularly deliver new features that meet our customers’ needs
Keeping the big picture in mind
- collaborating with product management, the executive team, and other stakeholders to craft our product strategy
- clearly reporting progress and status to executives and non-technical managers
- providing rough estimates of build costs for new feature ideas
- keeping the product team and its activities well aligned with strategic goals
- recognizing when we're spending time in a way that doesn’t move us forward and correcting course
About our company and Eugene
Palo Alto Software in Eugene, Oregon, is a seriously great place to work. We’re a friendly team of more than 70 experts of many kinds.
Our products, publications, and customer support have been guided by the same mission for 40 years: to help people succeed in business. We believe that when we help one small business grow, we’re helping an entire community.
We value independent thinking, creative problem-solving, family and work-life balance, and a rewarding work culture. Living and working in Eugene supports the best of all worlds—interesting and challenging work in a growing tech scene delivering world-class technology from right here in the beautiful Pacific Northwest. Eugene’s commute times were rated best in the nation and homes are more affordable than you’d find in Seattle or the Bay Area.
- Competitive Salary
- Flexible Spending Account
- Health Reimbursement Account
- Paid Vacation
- Paid Holidays
- 401(k) with a match
- Relocation Reimbursement
- Team Collaboration
- Flexible Work Schedule
- Community Involvement
- Discounted Gym Membership
- Fun Company Events
- A diverse and inclusive culture
- Exceptional Work Environment
- Daily Snacks
- And Much More!
Skills and experience
This position requires the right combination of technical, strategic, and people management skills.
- Above all, a passion for solving real-world problems for our small business customers
- A strong track record of leading technical teams, managing software developers, and continuously improving processes to build great software
- Good understanding of email, IMAP, and SMTP
- Experience with React and single page apps
- Solid understanding of databases, application architecture, and principles of building reliable and performant applications
- Experience with Docker and a variety of AWS services is a plus
- Excellent interpersonal skills, a good sense of humor, and an easy ability to collaborate with other developers, UX designers, devops engineers, QA analysts, and more
- The technical chops to guide developers in solving technical problems and building a scalable SaaS app
- Great fit with our company mission and culture
- Curiosity and intelligence
- Organized and detail-oriented
- Top-notch creative problem-solving skills
- Four-year degree in Computer Science or a related field, or equivalent experience
This position is based in Eugene, Oregon. Remote work is not an option for this role. You will report directly to the VP of Engineering and work closely with the VP of Product and members of the Outpost team.
Is this your next big challenge? Apply today!
We are an equal opportunity employer and value diversity at our company. We do not discriminate on the basis of race, religion, color, national origin, gender, sexual orientation, age, marital status, veteran status, or disability status. We’re looking for passion, talent, and curiosity. If this sounds like the right challenge to use and grow your skills, apply with us today.